Marathon Team Workshop

Your Current Situation

  • You have an uphill battle on a project that’s headed downhill.
  • Your project group isn’t a project team.

  • Question: Why should you bring in an “outsider” to lead this workshop?
  • Answer: For the same reason that you may not teach your children to drive. Sometimes, we’re too (emotionally) close to the situation for people to respect the solutions and recommendations.

Your Options

You need to bring in

  • An athlete, who turns your group into a team.
  • An experienced project manager and executive, who shares his real life, wisdom and solutions.
  • An international professional, who relates to the challenges of global markets.

Your Constraints

  • Your budget doesn’t allow for three different speakers.
  • You may invest 1% of your project budget for a kick off program that helps to protect the other 99%.

Your Solution

Get everyone running in the right direction with the customized Marathon Team Workshop. Anthony Reed, MBA, MS, CPA, PMP is the solution to your challenge. He fuses his international project management experiences with his international marathon exploits as a certified distance running coach. He also has a graduate certification in supply chain management.

Since 2010, this business executive and history making endurance athlete has spoken at over 100 project management, accounting, and human resources events. He has 25 years of project management experience and he’s completed over 125 marathons (26.2 miles/42.2K) on all seven continents and fifty States. Three of the marathons were ranked in the top ten toughest in the world.

The Marathon Team Workshop

Preparing for and completing a marathon is the perfect backdrop for moving your team across the finish line. While all certified marathons are the same distance, the dangers, terrain, altitude, and weather offer unique and varying challenges. You quickly learn that hills build character.

  • Running up and down 3,600 steps during the Great Wall Marathon is like managing a 3,600-task project schedule.
  • Fighting through the Antarctica Marathon’s bitter cold relates to setting realistic project goals, dealing with unplanned events, and motivating yourself under stressful conditions.
  • Encountering predators on Kenya’s SafriCom Lewa Marathon course is like managing project risks and mitigation. (The race was delayed by 15 minutes to move a lion off of the marathon course.)
A Cheetah on Kenyan Marathon Course

Your team must be able to react quickly to make critical decisions with limited information. We show how to weigh the advantages of a short term sprint with finishing in the long run. Your team members must become marathoners, who use their knowledge to mentally and physically push towards new limits.

Successful endurance athletes and team members exhibit the same characteristics to thrive. They manage change by taking calculated risks and gradually expanding their comfort zones. This is how a miler becomes a marathoner and an individual contributor becomes a successful team member. They must incorporate change, manage risk, and motivate people to go up hill at a time when they want to quit. All of this must be achieved in a stressful, challenging business environment.

The presenter implemented a $12 million IT project for $2.6 million. He shares his experiences as an international corporate IT executive, PMP, certified distance running coach, and finisher of over 125 international marathons (26.2 miles/42.2K). This author of five books was also one of 250 people in the world to finish marathons on all seven continents, including Antarctica. His latest book is Running to Leadership: What Finishing 100+ Marathons On All Seven Continents Teaches Us About Success.

He shows your team how to cross the finish line ahead of schedule, under budget, and satisfying the business requirements using marathon techniques and strategies.

Key Issues Covered

  • Motivating yourself and your team members with a limited budget.
  • Relaxing under stress while managing unplanned events.
  • Embracing fear and risk to move outside your comfort zone.
  • Addressing the victim mentality.
  • Mastering change management.
  • Maintaining morale while “the ship is sinking.”
  • Educate the stakeholders (and team members) about project management and constraints

Contact us at CPAInfo@Reed-CPA.com for our customized solution.